Editor's note: the applicability of these transitional arrangements (and of Annex T) terminated on 1 July 2001.
(1) In recognition of the need for time to adapt to the requirements of a market economy, a Contracting Party listed in Annex T may temporarily suspend full compliance with its obligations under one or more of the following provisions of this Treaty, subject to the conditions in paragraphs (3) to (6):
Article 6(2) and (5)
Article 10(7) specific measures
Article 14(1)(d) related only to transfer of unspent earnings
Article 22(1) and (3)
(2) Other Contracting Parties shall assist any Contracting Party which has suspended full compliance under paragraph (1) to achieve the conditions under which such suspension can be terminated. This assistance may be given in whatever form the other Contracting Parties consider most effective to respond to the needs notified under subparagraph (4)(c) including, where appropriate, through bilateral or multilateral arrangements.
(3) The applicable provisions, the stages towards full implementation of each, the measures to be taken and the date or, exceptionally, contingent event, by which each stage shall be completed and measure taken are listed in Annex T for each Contracting Party claiming transitional arrangements. Each such Contracting Party shall take the measure listed by the date indicated for the relevant provision and stage as set out in Annex T. Contracting Parties which have temporarily suspended full compliance under paragraph (1) undertake to comply fully with the relevant obligations by 1 July 2001. Should a Contracting Party find it necessary, due to exceptional circumstances, to request that the period of such temporary suspension be extended or that any further temporary suspension not previously listed in Annex T be introduced, the decision on a request to amend Annex T shall be made by the Charter Conference.
(4) A Contracting Party which has invoked transitional arrangements shall notify the Secretariat no less often than once every 12 months:
(a) of the implementation of any measures listed in its Annex T and of its general progress to full compliance;
(b) of the progress it expects to make during the next 12 months towards full compliance with its obligations, of any problem it foresees and of its proposals for dealing with that problem;
(c) of the need for technical assistance to facilitate completion of the stages set out in Annex T as necessary for the full implementation of this Treaty, or to deal with any problem notified pursuant to subparagraph (b) as well as to promote other necessary marketoriented reforms and modernisation of its energy sector;
(d) of any possible need to make a request of the kind referred to in paragraph (3).
(5) The Secretariat shall:
(a) circulate to all Contracting Parties the notifications referred to in paragraph (4);
(b) circulate and actively promote, relying where appropriate on arrangements existing within other international organisations, the matching of needs for and offers of technical assistance referred to in paragraph (2) and subparagraph (4)(c);
(c) circulate to all Contracting Parties at the end of each six month period a summary of any notifications made under subparagraph (4)(a) or (d).
(6) The Charter Conference shall annually review the progress by Contracting Parties towards implementation of the provisions of this Article and the matching of needs and offers of technical assistance referred to in paragraph (2) and subparagraph (4)(c). In the course of that review it may decide to take appropriate action.