(1) In carrying out its duties, the Charter Conference shall have a Secretariat which shall be composed of a Secretary General and such staff as are the minimum consistent with efficient performance.
(2) The Secretary General shall be appointed by the Charter Conference. The first such appointment shall be for a maximum period of five years.
(3) In the performance of its duties the Secretariat shall be responsible to and report to the Charter Conference.
(4) The Secretariat shall provide the Charter Conference with all necessary assistance for the performance of its duties and shall carry out the functions assigned to it in this Treaty or in any Protocol and any other functions assigned to it by the Charter Conference.
(5) The Secretariat may enter into such administrative and contractual arrangements as may be required for the effective discharge of its functions.